Bloomingdale was originally part of Pompton Township, which itself was incorporated in 1798 in Passaic County NJ. It encompassed the Village of Pompton (now Pompton Lakes) as well as what is now Bloomingdale, Ringwood, Wanaque, and West Milford.
Over time, the various areas broke off to form their separate townships; Bloomingdale went its way in 1918. Today it’s a sleepy town bordered by Butler and Riverdale, but it’s rich in history.
That history has been written four times, now: in three separate books published by the borough in 1958, 1968 and 1993, and in its Centennial book (pictured).
Let’s take a look at a some bits of Bloomingdale history.